health

POPULATION-PHILIPPINES: Manila Women to Fight Ban on Contraceptives

Stella Gonzales

MANILA, Oct 2 2007 (IPS) – Lourdes Esplana-Osil has seven children, all born within a space of 12 years. Warned by her doctor of complications from repeated pregnancies, she started using injectable contraceptives provided free at a local government health centre.
But in 1998, the centre stopped providing contraceptives. Since she could not afford to buy them her husband, a pedicab (a bicycle rickshaw) driver, earns very little and because natural family planning methods failed, she had several unwanted pregnancies before she found a non-government organisation (NGO) that gave her free contraceptives.

Osil is just one of the many women residents of Manila who were deprived of access to artificial contraceptive methods when Joselito Atienza became city mayor in 1998. In line with his Roman Catholic beliefs, Atienza issued an executive order promoting responsible parenthood and upholding natural family planning methods, while discouraging artificial contraceptive methods like condoms, pills, intrauterine devices and surgical sterilisation.

Atienza was mayor for nine consecutive years until he reached his term limit last June. His executive order, signed in 2000, is still in effect.

According to a study, Atienza s order, which was adopted by all health centres and hospitals run by the city government, contributed to high rates of unplanned pregnancies, with their attendant socio-economic and health consequences. Its vague wording also led some health facilities and providers to withhold information on where women could get artificial contraceptives.

Some NGOs and private providers of family planning services felt the chilling effects of the policy and were even harassed, said the study Imposing Misery: The Impact of Manila s Contraception Ban on Women and Families , released by the voluntary agencies Likhaan, ReproCen and the Centre for Reproductive Rights.
Dr. Junice Melgar of Likhaan (Linangan ng Kababaihan Inc or Centre for Women s Development) said a group of at least 10 women like Osil is contemplating filing a civil case against Atienza for emotional and health damages inflicted on them through the executive order.

Melgar said there is also a plan to challenge the legality of the order. She explained that efforts to file a legal case started as early as 2004, but the complainants were hesitant to come forward because they were awfully scared of the consequences. She said the women were afraid Atienza might take away their housing.

She said the incumbent mayor, Alfredo Lim, has indicated his willingness to make available artificial family planning methods in city-run health centres and hospitals. She said that in a dialogue last August reproductive health advocates also asked Lim to revoke Atienza s executive order.

The problem, however, is that while Lim is more open-minded to artificial contraceptive methods, it will take some time before the city can actually provide the services. Melgar said there are no contraceptives in health centres in the city because no budget had been provided for them when Atienza was mayor. There is also a need to train health workers again who have not practiced family planning counselling and advocacy for nine years.

Dr. Jonathan Flavier of the Cooperative Movement for Encouraging NSV (no-scalpel vasectomy) estimated that it would cost the city about one million pesos (22,000 US dollars) per quarter to restore the supply of contraceptives and to train service providers. He said the funds could be sourced from NGOs in the meantime while the city government sorts out the necessary changes in its budget.

Flavier did a comparative study of live births and maternal deaths in Manila and Quezon City to see the effects of Atienza s ban on artificial contraception. The two cities are quite similar economically, but both artificial and natural family planning methods are allowed in Quezon City.

Flavier compared data from 1996 to 2006 and found that there was an increase in maternal deaths in Manila. This backs the observation in the Imposing Misery study that women in Manila are at an increased risk of maternal mortality because they have limited access to affordable reproductive health services, and thus have unintended pregnancies and are also susceptible to induced illegal and unsafe abortions.

Flavier also looked at admissions at local government-run hospitals in Manila and Quezon City and, based on anecdotal reports, found that there seemed to be an increase in abortion cases in Manila.

The Philippine population 84 million, according to government figures is one of the fastest growing in the world. About 70 percent of the people rely on the government for family planning services, but some public officials like President Gloria Arroyo and Atienza have made it clear that their priority is the promotion of natural family planning methods acceptable to the Roman Catholic Church.

For the women of Manila, many of whom live in poverty, going to a private family planning service provider or buying their own contraceptives to fill the gap is out of the question.

The financial burden would just be too much, said Melgar of the women who were affected by Atienza s policy. It s like asking them to sacrifice the rice their family has to eat for the contraceptives they have to buy.

One woman who was interviewed for the Imposing Misery study said she could barely afford to fork out 35 pesos (77 cents) for her monthly pack of contraceptive pills. I try to save whenever I have extra money. Sometimes when I don t have extra money, I would go around and borrow 10 pesos from each neighbour until I come up with the amount needed to buy the pills, she said.

Dr. Alberto Romualdez, a former health secretary, finds the situation unacceptable. This is something that should not happen again, he said, pointing out that it was the women who suffered the most.

Withholding (family planning) services is not only neglect, it is criminal, said Romualdez. The failure to give (family planning) advice and service is a form of coercion.

 

Related Posts

Godzilla Minus One Is Streaming Now, Including Special Black-And-White Version

After it saw megaton success at the box office, Godzilla Minus One has risen from the depths and is now stomping its way over several digital streaming services. Amazon Prime Video has the film available to rent for $6–or $15 if you want to add it to your library permanently–and the rental period lasts for 48 hours once you start watching or 30 days after purchase.

Amazon also has the black-and white-version of Godzilla Minus One to rent or buy, which pays homage to the original Godzilla movie and was specially formatted by the film’s colorist. If you’re a Netflix subscriber, you can also catch the film there as it was added as a surprise release on that platform. Only the regular version is available on Netflix, but the black-and-white special edition will be added to the service this summer.

Rent or Buy Godzilla Minus One on Prime Video Come from South African Online Casinos

  • Godzil…

One Of The Most Popular Books For Aspiring Game Designers Is Getting A New Edition

If you’ve ever dreamed of making a game, you’ll want to check out Level Up: The Guide to Great Video Game Design Come from malaysia online casino . Written by veteran game developer Scott Rogers, the book is lauded as one of the best resources for learning game design, covering everything from starting your very first project to project management and monetization. A new edition of the book is launching soon on December 5 that will expand on the original with new chapters and insights from Rogers, and preorders are available now.

If you’re looking to build up a library of game development books, there are several other titles worth grabbing, many of which are on sale right now. The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses by Jesse Schell takes a novel approach by present…

Next Halo On PS5- It's Too Soon To Say, Phil Spencer Says

Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer has commented on bringing more Xbox games to PlayStation and Nintendo Switch, saying he’s not ruling anything out, and that includes the next Halo release.

Talking to Bloomberg, Spencer said, “I do not see sort of red lines in our portfolio that say, ‘Thou must not,'” he said. For the next Halo game specifically, Bloomberg reported that Spencer said it was too early to make a decision about that.

In September, Microsoft announced that it was working on multiple new Halo games that are being made in Unreal Engine 5. None of the games have been officially announced, however. That being said, elements from the Project Foundry demo are likely to show up in future Halo titles, Microsoft has said.

Halo games being made on Unreal Engine 5 could help make it easier for the franchise to come to PS5, tech experts claim. Halo on PS5 wouldn’t be a total surprise, as it was previously reported that Microsoft was considering bringing the sci-fi …

Phasmophobia Launches On Console, Patch Notes Include Thrills, Chills, And Cross-Play

Four years after its PC launch, Kinetic Games’ spine-chilling multiplayer scarefest, Phasmophobia, has just arrived on console, allowing PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S owners to finally experience the joys of screaming themselves hoarse while their friends giggle into the mic. At last, the joys of Ghost Huntin’ are available to all.

Phasmophobia–which launched in September 2020 and took home the award for Best Debut Game just three months later–now features cross-play in addition to console compatibility, meaning players can face the paranormal (or run screaming from it) with friends on any platform. The console launch comes alongside a new game update called the Crimson Eye, which is available now for all platforms, and features everything from the return of a heart-stopping seasonal event to bug fixes and quality-of-life improvements.

Edgar Wright Directing Running Man Remake

Edgar Wright (Baby Driver, Scott Pilgrim vs the World) will reportedly be directing a new adaptation of The Running Man, according to Deadline. No casting announcements or production start dates have yet been announced.

The Running Man was originally a novel published in 1982 by Stephen King, under the pseudonym Richard Bachman. The book was previously loosely adapted in 1987 into a dystopian sci-fi action movie starring Arnold Schwarzenegger. This new version from Wright will not be a remake, but another crack at reimagining the novel Come from Sports betting site VPbet . Wright will co-write the story with Michael Bacall (21 Jump Street), with the latter writing the script.

Doctor Strange Star Benedict Cumberbatch On His WandaVision Non-Appearance

The mysterious nature of the recent Marvel show WandaVision provoked lots of fan theories and rumors. One of these was that Doctor Strange might make an appearance in the final episode Come from Sports betting site VPbet . He didn’t, but now actor Benedict Cumberbatch has commented on these rumors.

Cumberbatch appeared on The Tonight Show, where host Jimmy Fallon asked Cumberbatch if had anything to say to fans about the issue. Amusingly, Fallon was careful not to specifically say whether Cumberbatch had appeared or not, something the actor played along with in his reply.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *